Friday, November 1, 2013

Academic Research on the Internet (Exercise 2.2)

     For today's activity we could choose step one, two, or three to aid us in researching our keyword combinations. Step 1: Using some of the keyword combinations we developed we needed to search in two general search engines such as AltvaVista, Ask.com, Bing, Google, Hotbot, Lycos, or Yahoo to do some research on our topic. Step 2: We could  launch a search on one or more of the metasearch engines such as Dogpile, Mamma, Search.com, SurfWax, or Yippy. Step 3: Or our finally option, we could visit Noodletools and find a specialized search engine that we have not used yet.
     I choose to do step 3, on Noodletools.com. Through Noodletools you can search by related topics, by narrowing your topic, searching a controversial issue, or by finding information on topics. When I search on Bing, I used my keyword combination "using photography as a therapy tool". The results I came across expressed photography as a means of communication for one to share thoughts, feelings, joys, or even frustrations. Columbia Encyclopedia mentions using therapeutic photography as a positive resource as self-expression. When I searched on Google about using photography as a therapy tool, I came across PhotoTherapy and Therapeutic Photography. PhotoTherapy is done by a trained therapist. He or she uses photographs, either pictures from a magazine or from the family, to cue certain memories, allowing the person to focus on the emotional task at hand  which allows the surfacing of deep psychic material. Or there is Therapeutic Photography, the act of making a photo image (photography) at any stage is the actual therapy. This activity was very helpful it got me searching in different areas and not just on Google. Although Google turned out to be the most helped with my keyword combinations the others would work if I was searching a small one worded topic. This activity gave me information that can help me get started on my research paper and was very successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment